CAPS: Fall Prevention Screening
Falls can be a major life-changing event that can take away the ability to live independently. Studies show that the risk of falling increases as we age. In fact, more than one-third of individuals over age 65 fall each year.
You can minimize your risk of falling by taking a quick one-minute Comprehensive Assessment of Postural Systems (CAPS) test developed by Vestibular Technologies and given at our hospital.
A trained therapist will administer the quick test and provide you with your stability score. You should consider consulting your physician for further evaluation if:
- Your score is other than “Healthy Balance”.
- You are uncertain about your balance or stability.
- You have fallen one or more times in the past year, or you feel you have a higher than normal risk of falling.
- Your results show a reduced stability.
- You have experienced a sudden loss of balance or stability in recent years, with or without a resulting fall, dizziness, ringing in the ear, sudden hearing loss or pain in one or both of your ears.
Our hospital offers many programs to help people overcome balance issues and live active independent lives.